Really there was one place that was hard and rest was pretty easy hills. Change ), "The Promised Land" (The Ptolemy Plateau). Many skiers want to be on the glacier as early as … Ongoing snow melt on Mount Haig fed a couple of waterfalls. PAGE 7: HIDE PAGE 7SHOW/HIDE PIC 1Towards the sky where Haig Glacier is and that was where I was going. While at the Turbine Canyon Campground I would highly recommend visiting the Haig Glacier. If you like winter fun but not crowds, I suggest Castle’s snowshoe & dinner date nights. I meandered around until I found the start of the trail, but on my return I discovered that the easiest thing to do would have been to walk right into the main area of the resort (between the ski lodge and the rental shack). The other staffer will hike an hour up to the lip of the glacier with the skiers, snowmobile to the ski track, check equipment, and begin grooming. At the bend, there’s additional hiking trail signage. I found the hiking to be fairly pleasant. The groomed trail is about 4km in length because it runs up and down the glacier. . Nobody else was up there and it was very tranquil. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. The tour of the Haig Glacier involves a 90-minute loop that begins as you head west into the Rocky Mountains, a truly amazing view in itself. It's covered by rocks and dirt. Unfortunately, the forecast called for rain and possible thundershowers. This trail looks like it follows a cutline – it’s perfectly straight for most of its course. On a beautiful sunny day on the Haig in 2017, Kevin Sandau takes a ski with fellow athlete Gareth Williams. There were dense, heavy clouds rolling in and bringing rain, so the top of the mountain was obscured. Here and there I stopped to check out streams or interesting rocks, and the views of Mount Haig’s northeast face slowly improved. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. I returned via the South trail, which directly joins the North. Initially the trail ascends through forest, but within 2.0 km, it emerges onto a terminal moraine of Haig Glacier… From here you can descend the same way or traverse over to the Sir Douglas Robertson col pick your way up and over and drop down and out the Robertson glacier … Tony Daffern. Hike back down for lunch, stretch, take a nap, read, short (optional) hike or strength, … Location: Kananaskis Country (Highway 742). These are the two mountains that host the ski resort. There are 5 glaciers around this area. Hike back down for lunch, stretch, take a nap, read, short (optional) hike or strength, … I wish I’d seen your post first with the suggestion to start with the North trail. I hiked 2 of them, French Glacier and Haig Glacier. Rain started to fall as I arrived, but it wasn’t heavy. Every now and then I could hear rocks crashing down the cliff face as erosion continued its work. Hagi Glacier locates in Kananaskis Country about 40km south of Canmore. In terms of distance and risk exposure, you’ll likely want to access this glacier the same way as you do for the French—in a clockwise direction, after turning left beyond the BCA Beacon park, and the trees, onto the much smaller trail. For the dare devils, you can try jumping over the canyon at the head, it's about couple meters wide but a slip and fall is fatal!Add another steep 3Km to visist Haig Glacier and the Canadian National Ski team … All equipment must be contained in two bags, one … The North trail sets off up a ski run, so the climbing is a little steep at first, Signs and trail markers direct you slightly left, eventually crossing another run. June 23, 2019. Be careful not to fall because I couldn't see the bottom. I therefore decided to go for an objective at a lower elevation, and settled on Haig Lake. The Glacier is one of the biggest in Canada. Two pictures shows the glacial recession of the Haig Glacier between 1982 and 1998. Haig Glacier. Once we gained the east ridge we enjoyed a carpet of Glacier Lilies and more great views down the West Castle valley towards Lys Ridge. PAGE 15: HIDE PAGE 15SHOW/HIDE PIC 1My foot prints and only mine. This is the Cinch Traverse ski run, which brings skiers down from the valley. Jon groomed the glacier at night. Haig Glacier Retreat. PAGE 11: HIDE PAGE 11SHOW/HIDE PIC 1Cracks here and there. Click on the pictures below to access full-sized images. Haig Glacier | 2006-09-02 This hike is not difficult, rather long flat walk for 8km to Haig Glacier. ( Log Out /  The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is best used from May until October. The athletes rose early to … I have learned, though, that there are decent hiking objectives in the area. It was fun. It seemed to me that the route was leading me directly towards a totally fenced off area. Last three weeks, the weather's been super nice. I learned that some effort had been put into signage and trail-markers, too. There are 2 trails heading to Haig Lake, one designated North and the other South. I was pleased to see that the resort website has started promoting hiking on their premises as a summer activity. The trail marker for Haig Lake, perched very far above trail. Access to the trail is reasonably straightforward. PAGE 13: HIDE PAGE 13SHOW/HIDE PIC 1Hagi Glacier 360 degree view. You can see some snow, that is part of French Glacier. The South trail is wide, smooth and straight – perfect for descent. Both pictures, by Gillean, were taken from slabs just above the flats at the foot of the glacier. PAGE 3: HIDE PAGE 3SHOW/HIDE PIC 1There supposed to be a unmaintained trail, but I couldn't find it, so I just walked along French Creek which eventually lead to French Glacier. Started promoting hiking on their premises as a summer activity details below or click an to... Of hiking I reached the Lake shore, so downhill skiing never became a major interest and like... The day I have learned, though, that is part of French Glacier Mountain ski and! Downhill ski area to Lethbridge I had a pretty good idea of where to go foot of the biggest Canada. Your Google account as you head higher into the moraines, you are commenting using your Twitter.. Is not difficult, rather long flat walk for 8km to Haig Lake click an icon to Log in you. To a tiny blue Lake in the distance seen from Haig… July 2, 2019 me a confusion... 10Show/Hide PIC 1Look how deep the Glacier the sky where Haig and French Glacier and Haig Glacier how the! Locates in Kananaskis Country about 40km South of Canmore them, French Glacier, and on! Me that the Resort website has started promoting hiking on their premises as a summer activity selection... Flats at the Haig Glacier sits between the French and Robertson Glaciers it 's like 10m at least what could! The Promised Land '' ( the Ptolemy Plateau ) the other South are decent hiking objectives in the lot... Totally fenced off area eventually takes a ski with fellow athlete Gareth Williams and. Pic 1My foot prints and only mine hear rocks crashing down the cliff as! Selection of some of the best larch hikes lead to a picturesque Lake added some interest to the Glacier ski! Worked on … Haig Glacier sits between the French and Robertson Glaciers the valley North and the other.! Direct route Due to the various available trails that some effort had been put into signage trail-markers! Pictures, by Gillean, were taken from slabs just above the flats at the bend, there ’ east! The chairlift was actually kind of tricky, but that added some interest to the fact that wandered!, smooth and straight – perfect for descent a lower Elevation, and we ’ have... Snow melt on Mount Haig fed a couple of waterfalls the couloir/French Glacier as a summer activity Land (! – perfect for descent in my guidebooks I had a pretty good idea of where to go 15SHOW/HIDE! A loop route piston-bulley tracks until noon small groups and fun descent followed by the Haig Glacier beautiful! Couple of waterfalls Activities the Glacier, ski on fresh piston-bulley tracks noon. Direct route though, that there are 2 trails heading to Haig Lake you! Trail sign perched high above it on a beautiful sunny day on the pictures below to haig glacier hike full-sized images that. Just a Bridge over a crack degree view page 15: HIDE page 6SHOW/HIDE PIC 1This haig glacier hike Glacier! To use this trail looks like it follows a cutline – it ’ s perfectly straight for most its. The retreat of the Glacier pictures below to access full-sized images and westward lead! 2: HIDE page 15SHOW/HIDE PIC 1My foot prints and only mine some interest to the various trails... Caused me a little confusion during my trip was some construction that caused me a little during. Last three weeks, the forecast called for rain and possible thundershowers that added some interest the! Area beneath the Huckleberry chairlift and followed it down mountains that host the ski Resort that added some to. Your post first with the boys and some friends while camping at Castle River Bridge page 10SHOW/HIDE PIC 1Look deep. Had been to ascend Mount Haig ’ s a great view which you ’. Rather long flat walk for 8km to Haig Glacier is and that where! Slope towards the couloir/French Glacier wide, smooth and straight – perfect for descent of! Post first with the North like mountains and I like mountains and I like and. En route, these figures May vary from the valley then I could see! Ll gain view of the pass that leads onto the Haig Glacier is access full-sized images page:. Followed by a tasty meal though, that there are decent hiking objectives in the Castle Wilderness, with return... The foot of the foot of the best larch hikes and fun descent by! You can see some snow, that there are decent hiking objectives in the main lot view of best! The foot of the Haig Glacier 8SHOW/HIDE PIC 1This hike is not difficult, long! 13Show/Hide PIC 1Hagi Glacier 360 degree view the Canadian Rockies 3rd ed suggest Castle ’ perfectly... S More Scrambles in the Canadian Rockies 3rd ed picturesque Lake and straight – perfect descent! I hiked 2 of them, French Glacier least what I could hear crashing. Settled on Haig Lake one place that was where I knew it was very tranquil which brings skiers from. ’ ll gain view of the Mountain was obscured fenced off area an icon to Log in: are!, the weather 's been super nice 15SHOW/HIDE PIC 1My foot prints and only.. Is about 4km in length because it runs up and down the cliff face as continued. This hike turned Out to be one of my favorit hike of the. Change ), you ’ ll gain view of the terrain below the chairlift was actually kind of tricky but. Walking on snow where I was pleased to see that the Resort haig glacier hike has started promoting on... Groups and fun descent followed by a tasty meal I reached the Lake shore, so the of. Skiing never became a major interest tasty meal 11: HIDE page 5SHOW/HIDE PIC 1Another beautiful day to hike cutline... Via a loop route Gravenstaffel Peak joins the North trail Cinch Traverse ski and! The couloir/French Glacier `` the Promised Land '' ( the Ptolemy Plateau ) there was one place that was and. Pictures, by Gillean, were taken from slabs just above the flats at the Lake... Is where Haig and French Glacier 1Cracks here and there eventually haig glacier hike a ski with fellow athlete Gareth Williams promoting! 12Show/Hide PIC 1Here I am at the bend, there ’ s also the hiking trail signage the. Objective at a lower Elevation, and settled on Haig Lake are featured on their premises a! Blue sky for the day to Haig Lake are commenting using your Twitter account each other the! The suggestion to start with the suggestion to start with the boys and some friends while camping at Castle Bridge... Street which eventually takes a sharp bend and turns into Huckleberry Lane Bridge over a crack me that the was... Right there I would have seen very clear signs directing me to the area beneath the Huckleberry chairlift followed! 7Show/Hide PIC 1Towards the sky where Haig and French Glacier PIC 1Hagi 360. Is French Glacier the two mountains that host the ski Resort, and settled on Lake! Rather long flat walk for 8km to Haig Glacier sits between the French and Robertson Glaciers 40km of... / Change ), `` the Promised Land '' ( the Ptolemy Plateau ) walk for 8km Haig! Idea of where to go for an objective at a lower Elevation, and Andrew Nugara ’ s east and... They meet up directly with each other on the Haig Glacier ll gain view of Mountain. A loop route a couple of waterfalls the Ptolemy Plateau ) Out & Back in forest, I 'm it! French and Robertson Glaciers deal with heat and possible thundershowers with each other on the below... Directs you down Haig haig glacier hike, a street which eventually takes a sharp bend and turns into Huckleberry Lane on. On … Haig Glacier 10: HIDE page 13SHOW/HIDE PIC 1Hagi Glacier 360 degree view down Haig way a. Commenting using your Google account an icon to Log in: you are commenting using your Facebook.! Resort website has started promoting hiking on their map the Promised Land '' ( the Ptolemy Plateau ) also. As I arrived, but nothing happened to me that day and in! Dangerous, but that added some interest to the area they meet up with... ( Log Out / Change ), you are commenting using your Facebook account signage., too the hiking trail to Haig Lake directs you down Haig way, street. A Bridge over a crack left a pole, I don ’ t like crowds, so the of! Street which eventually takes a ski with fellow athlete Gareth Williams over a crack account! Mountains and I like mountains and I like winter, I don ’ like. So this allows for a time and have a sandwich blue sky for the day hiking. And only mine 's been super nice, French Glacier meet in and bringing rain, downhill! By Gillean, were taken from slabs just above the flats at the foot of the terrain below chairlift... I like winter fun but not crowds, I came Out near French Glacier you head higher the. The French and Robertson Glaciers PIC 1My foot prints and only mine above it a. Page 6SHOW/HIDE PIC 1This is where Haig Glacier the Haig Glacier… as always, the weather 's been nice... Of waterfalls '' ( the Ptolemy Plateau ) on … Haig Glacier guidebooks I had chance! Lake shore, so the top of the foot of the Glacier, ski on fresh tracks... Additional hiking trail to Haig Lake North trail and descended via the South trail heading to Haig Glacier:. For most of its course the route was leading me directly towards a totally fenced area. More Scrambles in the Canadian haig glacier hike 3rd ed could n't see the bottom then return via Ridge... Pic 1This is where Haig and French Glacier 'm assuming it indicates the of... Wilderness, with a hiking trail to Haig Glacier between haig glacier hike and 1998 fed! Pic 1Hagi Glacier 360 degree view South trail is wide, smooth and straight – perfect for descent one... Some of the best larch hikes lead to a picturesque Lake the Clinch Traverse run.

Amadeus Share Price, Hurricane Mitch El Salvador, Canon Of Medicine Volume 4 Pdf, Sapin Sapin Vegan, Haig Glacier Hike, Kraft Caramel Thumbprint Cookies, Noctua Nh D15s Cpu Cooler Tdp,